528 Dr. Martin Luther King JR. Blvd, Newark, NJ 07102
Tel: (973) 792-5793
Click to View Us On Google Map...
  


Principal: Sister Teresa Shaw, SSJ
Faculty: Sisters of St. Joseph and Lay Staff
The Story of St. Mary’s School
(As told by the Second Grade of 2001)

  • 1838 - Large numbers of German speaking Catholics began to arrive in Newark.
  • 1842 - St. Mary’s Parish is founded by 60 families with Rev. Balleis, OSB on the corner of Court and Howard Streets.
  • 1843 - First German Catholic Parochial School opened with 40 children.
  • 1846 - St. Mary’s Church is moved to the corner of William St. where the present St. Mary Hall stands today.
  • 1857 - Early summer, 6 Benedictine Sisters left St. Joseph’s Monastery in St. Mary’s, Elk County, PA and arrived in Newark on July 27.
  • 1863 A three story brick school was built on corner of Shipman and William Streets.
  • 1968 In June the Benedictine Sisters withdrew from St. Mary’s School. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Chestnut Hill, PA took up the work begun by the Benedictines Sisters.
  • 2001 March The ground breaking ceremony for the new St. Mary School took place. Traditional African dancing claimed this site as holy and free from evil.
  • 2001 August Trucks and friends carried all of the belongings of St. May’s School into the new building on William Street.
  • 2001 September There was a Parish Mass with a procession to the new school. The ceremony included a dedication of a Peace Pole using 8 languages to represent the past and present communities.
  • 2005 This year 240 boys and girls from Kindergarten to eighth grade fill St. Mary’s School and the long tradition of excellence in education and Christian Formation continues.
  •   St. Mary’s Mission

    Saint Mary School Is A School With A "Heart On Fire"

  • Faith Development
  • Intellectual Growth
  • Right Relationship
  • Education for Leadership


  • In addition, we strive to work together to live out the mission of the Sisters of St. Joseph:

    "We live and work so that all people may be united with God and one another."